Login Home

Filings & Exemptions

First-Time Filing 

Application for homestead exemption benefits must be filed between January 1 and April 1. The applicant must come in person to the Tax Assessor's office the first time to file for homestead exemption benefits. Each year after that the homestead exemption benefits are automatically renewed unless there is a change in the filing status.

Changes in Homestead Exemption Status 

If any of the following changes occur, a new application must be filed in the tax assessor's office:

  • Marriage, divorce, separation, or death of spouse or joint owner 
  • Change in ownership, use, or occupancy 
  • Acquisition of new property or change in property description 
  • First time to apply for being over sixty-five years of age or 100% disabled 
  • If you no longer qualify for homestead exemption benefits, you must notify the assessor's office.
  • Failure to notify the tax assessor's office of changes in the status of the homestead may result in a fine up to $5,000 or two years imprisonment, or both.

Additional Homestead Exemption Benefits 

When an individual who is eligible for homestead exemption benefits becomes sixty-five years of age or 100% disabled, the individual is eligible to apply for an additional homestead exemption benefit. The individual must be sixty-five years of age or 100% disabled on January 1 of the year he files for the additional benefit. The individual must come in person to the tax assessor's office to apply for the additional benefit.

After filing for the additional benefit, the additional tax credit is applied to the taxes due at the end of the year.

Generally, when an individual who is filing for homestead exemption is over sixty-five or 100% disabled, he is totally exempt from taxes on 160 acres or approximately $75,000 appraised value, whichever limit is reached first. If the property exceeds 160 acres or $75,000 in value, the individual must pay taxes on the excess acreage or value.

Contact Us

Courthouse Annex (more)
211 E Government St
Brandon, MS 39042
Get Directions

  • Phone: (601) 825-1470
  • Fax: (601) 824-2457
Department Home